Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Screw peace... give brussel sprouts a chance!

The first time I saw brussel sprouts in their natural form (I'm talking on the stalk, people) I was amazed. It was at Detroit's Eastern Market, and these little beauties looked nothing like the soggy, smelly mini cabbages that I remembered from my youth. I had to buy them, and I have been hooked ever since!

I will only eat roasted brussels. No exceptions! It's quick and easy to do, and I swear, it is the best way to enjoy these tasty morsels.

There are many ways to roast brussel sprouts, but I prefer to clean and quarter them, drizzle them with olive oil, add some freshly chopped garlic and a shake of salt, toss, and bake at 375-400 degrees until they just start to brown, just remain crisp (maybe 10-15 minutes, depends on your tastes.

Pictured above is my favorite brussel dish. I tossed the above roasted brussels with some multigrain angel hair pasta and a sprinkle of shredded parmigiano reggiano... heck yeah! I just finished up that bowl you are drooling over, and after giving myself some time to digest... it's off to hit the treadmill for a nice, easy 10 mile run.

Just in case you are still not convinced about these little bad boys... read up!

Runners World: Eat this Now!
Worlds Healthiest Foods

4 comments:

  1. I heart brussel sprouts.

    Hi Angela! Welcome to the blogosphere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! You are pretty quick to hit 10 miles as fat as you did on your last run, 11 weeks till Boston, that is really exciting! Train hard and you can get your sub 3..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    Nanosandc - I am just trying for 3:15 in Boston, and then sub 3 sometime in the next year... But thanks for the support!

    Leah - Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've never had brussel sprouts!! i feel like i'm missing out now. hope you enjoyed your run :)

    ReplyDelete